There is a lot of debate about whether or not a half helmet is safe on a motorcycle. Some people swear by them, while others think they are just asking for an accident. So, which is it? Is a half helmet safe on a motorcycle? Let's take a look at the pros and cons.
Pros of half helmet
- A motorcycle half helmet covers the basic essentials- your head, eyes, and ears. This is the most important part of safety when riding a motorcycle.
- They are much less bulky and hot than a full-face helmet. This can be a big plus in the summer months.
- They allow for better visibility and hearing than a full-face helmet. This can be a big safety advantage while riding.
- They are generally cheaper than a full-face helmet.
Cons of half helmet
- Half helmets do not offer as much protection as a full-face helmet in the event of an accident.
- They can be more dangerous in a high-speed crash.
- They are more likely to come off in an accident than a full-face helmet.
- They offer less protection from the elements, such as wind and rain.
Is half helmet legal?
Most states have laws that require motorcycle riders to wear a DOT-approved helmet. However, there are a few states that do not have this requirement. So, you will need to check the laws in your state before deciding whether or not to wear a half helmet.